Hillandale Golf Course History
Hillandale Golf Course was donated to the Durham, North Carolina, community in 1911 through the philanthropic interests of long-time Durham resident John Sprunt Hill. The original nine holes were designed by renowned golf course architect Donald Ross, with the remaining nine designed by Perry Maxwell.
In 1960, the Hillandale Golf Course was moved to its current location and was redesigned by George Cobb, who designed the Surf Club in Myrtle Beach, S.C..
Golf Tournaments at Hillandale
As Durham’s community golf course, Hillandale has played host to several premier amateur tournaments.
- The Durham Herald-Sun Tournament is a week-long match-play event comprised of golfers shooting anywhere from sub-par into the hundreds.
- The prestigious Durham Amateur boasts fields that would rival any national amateur event, and has become a springtime “must play” on all amateurs’ schedules.
- The Bull City Invitational, one of the largest minority tournaments on the East Coast, calls Hillandale home.
- The Hillandale Junior Tournament has played host to some 4,000 competitors since its humble inaugural tournament with 17 participants.
A Leader in the Durham/Research Triangle Park Community
Hillandale Golf Course strives to be a Durham/RTP community leader by hosting many special interest groups, such as:
- Special Olympics
- Swing Pals-a non-profit building character and health in children facing adversity
- The First Tee-reinforcing values through the game of golf
The environment is also a major focus at Hillandale. On our course is the North Carolina State University Wetlands Restoration program, where students and faculty are provided with numerous hands-on learning experiences. Also, the Ellerbee-Neuse River Basin renovation and beautification project will greatly impact the community and provide increased water filtration and visual enhancement to the area.
Whether enjoying a great round of golf or shopping for golf equipment at one of the best golf shops in the country, come discover for yourself what the Durham/RTP, NC area already knows about Hillandale Golf Course…..At Hillandale Golf Course, enjoy the experience and satisfaction of a great golf facility!